Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 7, 2008

Observing in Galena

During spring break of '08 I went into Galena to observe the Elementary General Music classes. The teacher there is a Luther Alum. and also my old babysitter. :-) I was so excited to see her and ask her about her Luther experience and talk about some of the professors we both had, etc. The first thing that I noticed when I got there was the design and setup of the school. It was built during the 70's, if that gives you any clues to this unique building. Not really? Okay, so this school is built in the round. Meaning...there really aren't any hallways or walls in the school. The only cement blocked walls are the outside structure and the gymnasium and music room. The music room is right off of the gym, which is also the lunch room. The classrooms are all seperated by those office cubical walls. In order to get to another classroom you basically go through another class. I believe the idea was to help create more of a unified school. Instead, you hear what is going on in the other classes. The students and teachers are used to, but I think you can see where a problem can occasionally occur.
As classes began, I realized that there was quite a high minority rate. Not only that, but several of the younger hispanic students didn't even speak English. Some families sent their children to school with no English, figuring they would pick it up on their own, which they did. It was interesting, however; to see my old babysitter doing the lessons and some of the songs in both English and occasionally some Spanish. She was able to incorporate so many hidden musical concepts in her competencies. I learned so much from her in that one day. I am reassured in the Luther Ed. department because I can see how much she has learned and what she is able to do with her students. It's more reassuring knowing that her and I are so much alike, I know what to look forward to in my future.

No comments: