Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Michelle Rhee....."Can She Save Our Schools?"

Time Magazine: "Can She Save Our Schools?"

I guess I should consider myself lucky to have gone to a small public school in the middle of nowhere; away from gangs, violence, extreme poverty and away from the dangers and hardships of the urban city life. In Ed. Psych we were asked, "Would you be able to be a teacher in that district under her watch?" Many people would not; which is quite alright. I for one, want to be the best teacher I possibly can for students.

Quite recently I watched the movie "Lean On Me". If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend it. This movie reminds so much of the process that Rhee is taking. Get rid of the teachers and people who do not truly care about the students and are not helping the process. In Urban Schools, there is more disruption in classes. Some teachers have given up on the students. I think a big part of that is because they do not like the students. If you want your students you have to find something about them to like! How else are they going to respect you or even listen?! Another good movie to watch is "Freedom Writers" (or the book).

After watching these movies, and other "Inspirational Education Movies" I have been inspired even more to become an Educator. I am looking forward to what obstacles may come my way. Those obstacles may involve the situation facing the Washington D.C. public school district right now. More power to those who are trying to brighten the future of today's children.

No comments: